Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Lesson

In fall 2007, my family and I moved to Massachusetts. In January 2008, I went to Ghana, West Africa for a couple months, and when I returned, I found that my neighbor had bought a little Bulldog puppy. From that moment on, I have always wanted on for my own.
A little over two weeks ago, I bought a French Bulldog Puppy. Saturday, I gave him to a nice family who had another dog. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.
I didn't pray about this decision before I made it. I wanted the dog, and I got it. I named him Mookie after my favorite baseball player. We played together, ate together, slept in my bed at night. He was great! I realized very quickly though that he was consuming all of my time. All I could think about at school was "I wonder how Mookie is alone?" or, "I hope when I run home on my lunch break there isn't a mess". I was stressed out.
One of my coworkers asked me last week if I wanted to go to Korea for a short trip with him this spring. This is another one of my dreams, and one I know I feel God leading me to follow. With that in my mind, I had to make the decision to give up Mookie.
When my plan for my life and God's plan for my life butt heads, one will win out. I have learned that my way never leads anywhere. I get what I want but without a plan for the future. This is how it was with Mookie. I got what I always wanted, but there was no plan for him. It wasn't fair that I was stressed and ignoring my ministry. It wasn't fair that he was home alone all day.
I WANT TO GO TO KOREA. I posted Mookie on a Facebook group and later that day he was gone. I am not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two, but I know that God has a great purpose for my life than taking care of a dog for the next ten years. I need to focus on my students, the youth group, missions. That's why I'm here. God has a plan and it's longevity of vision is greater than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment